Friday, October 15, 2010

Extra Credit-Writing about Fiction Week 9

Extra Credit-Writing about Fiction-Week 9
If a reviewer wants to offer an interpretation of a fictional writing they should develop a complex critical interpretation of the work. This can be quite a process.  Know the story and review it.  The summary should tell about the main characters, conflict, conflict resolution and what kind of a world does the author create?  As the story is being read closely, think about the meaning.  The summary involves creating new and original information about a text.     
In close reading pay attention to the text. Observe facts and details about the writing.  Careful thinking about what the details add up to.  Get a better understanding of the writing.  Read with a pen in hand and make marginal notes.  Do a freewrite and ask questions. Move from reader to writer.  What is your thesis?  What information has been gathered to support your thesis?  Look through the information being collected and pick out the best that supports your thesis.  Use the MLA format when using a quote.
The way I plan to use this information in my writing is to definitely read slower, and review the text. I was recently reading a book and surprised myself by how close I was paying attention, critically thinking about the writing, and understanding what I read more than before.

No comments:

Post a Comment