All I asking For Is My Body, Part I, Dialogue
Question B.
Who is Makot? Makot is a young man from a Japanese family that everyone thought funny things about. He is an outcast trying to buy friendship from younger kids. He is the “general” of the kids. He is taking younger boys in directions they should not go with their peers, their young ages and their setting. He is taking them away from their morals and values, teaching them to defy their parents.
Do I feel sorry for him? Easy answer, yes I do. He feels that he is an outcast amongst his age and he makes up for this loss by directing younger kids in directions they should not go. It makes him feel that he is in control of something because his immediate family is out of control. He is embarrassed because of who his family is. His father is the pimp and his mother the prostitute in a Filipino Camp with mostly bachelors living there. What a sad life for a boy.
What are my thoughts about him and the way he copes with his parent’s. He is a very lonely boy with no respect for his parents or the boys he calls his friends. Makot was embarrassed about his family. His parents are gone most of the time and there is no real home life. Even though he has money because of his parent’s way of life it does not make up for his lack of family and love.
Hello Barb,
ReplyDeleteI too wrote about Makot but I liked your impression of him. I felt he was a bully of sorts and was not sure that the reading stated hat his parents did. I felt it was more implied by the discriptions given. After reading your post I am thinking maybe I need to recheck. As always thanks for posting early it makes getting the work done easier.
BetteJo
Hi Barb,
ReplyDeleteI too do not feel sorry for Makot because to use his parents way of life as an excuse is not a reason to disrespect his parents. I feel bad that he has to be made fun of and exiled from the other kids but I dont feel sorry for him because regardless of what one's parents lifestyle is you still have to have that respect for them. Thanks for the read.
Although I do not agree with how Makot manipulates the younger children into doing things that they should not be doing, I do feel sorry for him. He is just a child and his parents are not there to set boundries and more importantly, they are not there to give him the love and attention that evey child needs.
ReplyDeleteHi Barb,
ReplyDeleteI agree that Makot has not respect for his parents and it's because they have not taught him to have any respect for them. Makot has to be the general of the younger kids because it's the only way he knows to make friends. I also feel sorry for him so far but if he continues this way into adulthood it will cause many more problems for him and I will no longer feel sorry for him.
Deborah
Hi Barb,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed your writing. I too got the feeling that his mom was a prositute and his dad was the pimp. I think this is what Makot acts the way he does. He needs control of something and younger kids are easier to control. Great job writing.
Hi Barb,
ReplyDeleteYour post started a great discussion! I like that you're all examining the issue of respect. Is Makot justified in disrespecting his parent's because society deems them outcasts? How do children learn respect? Is there a level of respect everyone is owed due to humanity, regardless of who they are and what they do?
Thanks for giving me more to think about!
Lauren
Hi
ReplyDeleteI feel that the way Makot has no respect for peers or parents is a direct result of his lack of upbringing. The way that he is the General, is absurd, he feels he has to be incharge of something.
Hi Barb,
ReplyDeleteI totally agree that Makot has no respect not even for himself. He acts as if money can buy friendship, when friendship is something you have to work on first. Wow i feel that Makot only hangs out with little kids becasue they do whatever he says, and once they dont he throws a fizzy fit. Great Response.
Myra A
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete