Sunday, August 22, 2010

week 2 freewriting

What is a freewrite? It is being able to write whatever comes into my head. This is a way for my brain to get in gear, clear out the clutter. It is putting words on paper, not worrying about style, punctuation correct spelling or grammar. This is a welcomed exercise because my writing has always had to be so structured.


How is it meant to facilitate stronger writing? I hope this type of writing will help me think of writing ideas easier. I am hoping it can help me stay focused, pay more attention to writing and not stress about it. Also, I want to try and not edit at the same time I am writing so my brain is not so blocked.

What did you find surprising or illuminating about the reading? The freewriting article was very intriguing to me. I have never heard of this term. I am very anxious to see if it works for me. I have always been very hard on myself with my writing skills. I found that when I did my first freewriting is was hard. I did not think that continuous writing for 10 minutes would be difficult, it was. Sometimes my brain would freeze, not think of a thing. I will be very interested in my next freewriting exercise. It was very difficult not to fix misspelled words. It did not feel right.

4 comments:

  1. First, I would like to thank you for your positive comment regarding my freewrite post. I have been having a difficult time writing that post and it has taken me until tonight to stop editing it! In turn, I have to say that I find your post to be great as you speak from your perspective rather than just rewording what we read (like I did). Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Barbara,
    I agree with Sandra, I like how you wrote this from your perspective. I aLso had a hard time not hitting the backspace button when I messed up. You have a great grasp of everything and I think you'll do great this semester.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Barb,

    Freewrites take a while to get used to, especially if you're used to editing as you write. I think your point, "I want to try and not edit at the same time I am writing so my brain is not so blocked" is great! That's exactly what happens if you're editing as you write. The freewrites will also let you ease up on the self-pressure to write well. It gives you permission to think through ideas, get ideas out that are not great, and find ideas that are outstanding. Just remember this: good writing is the product of good thinking and lots of revision.

    Thanks for your ideas!

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Barbara,
    Reading your response to the article made me feel like I am not alone. I too, am very hard on myself when it comes to writing, feeling like I could do better or my punctuation isn’t quite right knowing others might read it. As far as it not feeling right, I guess its something we have to get used to knowing that no body else will read it.

    Krystal

    ReplyDelete