Title: Writing about Texts, Author, Diana Hacker and main point, reading for better understanding.
1. Reading the text
a. Read text as many times as needed to understand.
b. Take notes of main ideas and points.
c. Look up words not understood.
2. Understand and summarize a picture
a. What is the meaning of the picture?
b. What is the anticipated outcome that is intended?
c. What interests you?
3. Separate the text or picture into parts
a. Write down questions.
b. How do the main points give to the whole text or picture?
4. Write out a simple outline
a. Put thoughts and main points into your own words.
b. List main ideas and main points.
I plan to use information from chapter 46 in the following ways:
1. Reading information more than one time.
2. Take notes as I am reading.
3. Look up words I do not understand.
4. Think of questions I might have.
5. Summarize and outline text or picture.
I can’t believe how much more information my brain grasped by reading the text a few times, taking notes and summarizing. I can’t remember if this was the way I was taught in school many years ago, but it sure works well.
Hi Barbara,
ReplyDeleteI agree with you, this section from chapter 46 is very useful. I can't remember the way I was taught to do summaries either, but it was probably something very similar to this. It feels like its new informantion all over again. I know this will be of great help and I hope it turns out to be useful for you too.