Monday, October 25, 2010

Smoke Signals, the movie Dialogue

Smoke Signals, the movie Dialogue
Question a. What do I think about the relationship between Thomas and Victor?
I felt that the relationship between Victor and Thomas was both sad and inspiring.  The relationship grew from being civil as young boys, to true enemies, to a very deep special friendship.  They were able to overcome differences in their lives and form a friendship through travels to retrieve Victor’s dad’s personal belongings and ashes that was a true bonding experience for two young souls.
Victor thought Thomas was a dork, treated him poorly,  used him for his money all because he needed a bus ticket to start his journey to find his father.  People can and say things that hurt both internally and externally for no other reason than meanness.  Thomas wanted to be Victor’s friend because he felt he had a spiritual connection to his father and wanted him to know his real dad.  Through their travels they learn who they are and form a tight bond.  As a young boy Thomas would ask Victor why his dad left and never came back, which caused him to get beat up.  At the end of their trip Thomas asked again why his dad left and Victor said, “He didn’t mean to”.  What a difference in the way that Victor responded to this question at the beginning of the movie compared to the end.  The relationship between Thomas and Victor had grown, deepened and became a beautiful thing, what an inspiration to all.


8 comments:

  1. Hello Barb,

    I agree with your thoughts on the movie. Thomas and Victor had a different type of relationship. I thought it was a love-hate or family-none friend type. Thanks for posting early.

    BetteJo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also choose this question because I was inspired by there friendship. I feel it was because of Thomas that Victor became a better person and finally came around to forgive his father for leaving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Barb,

    I agree that their relationship was inspiring. I don't know many people who would have remained friends after going through some of the fights and incidents both Victor and Thomas experience. You have me wondering if being in the small community of the reservation is both a curse and blessing. There aren't many people in the community, so they're forced to work out their issues because they're stuck with each other, almost like family.

    Thanks for your insights.

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Barb,

    I agree with you about the relationship with these two friends. It was like love hate type thing. They became the best of friends in the least expected type of way. And though they were two different people they shared a commonality regarding their fathers. Thanks for the write.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi
    I always like reading your blogs. I like how you point out what happens in the beginning of the move when Thomas get beat up for talking about Victor's father, and then at the end he just getts a different answer. This to me shows all the growth that Victor had undergone during the trip. Nice write.
    Thank you
    Benjamin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Barb,
    I couldnt of agreed with you more. Victor did have a realy strange relationship with Thomas. Victor did seem to have jealousy, and i think Thmoas didnt see that. Thomas saw him more as a punk. I think the journey did change there realtionship not only for the worse but for the better. GREAT BLOG.
    Myra A.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job. The two definately became very close after having such a love/hate relationship

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Barb,
    I like how you mention that at the beginning of the movie Thomas gets beat up for asking why Victor's father left, but at the end he gets a straight answer. I think a major reason Victor actually answers at the end of the movie is that he finally knew. When Victor was asked as a child, not only was he angry but he also saw his mother tell his father they're not drinking anymore and that's the reason he left. Maybe Victor didn't want to tell people as a child that his father left because he couldn't drink.

    ReplyDelete