Sunday, November 21, 2010

All I Asking For Is My Body, Part II, Dialogue

All I Asking For Is My Body, Part II, Dialogue
What is the importance of the body in the book? 
I think the importance of the body in the book is Tosh and Kyoshi, the two older sons felt they had no control over their life which meant their body.  They had to be good obedient boys and obey their parents or this showed disrespect. They were unable to make decisions for their own life and were not able to pursue their dreams.  They had to give up their bodies as their bodies belonged to the family.
Their parents were in financial disaster and because of their culture the boys were obligated to work and turn their money over to the family.  They were sacrificing themselves and their body to hard work because of family obligations, traditions and culture.  Their mom worried herself sick due to the financial burden, not taking care of her body which told us she to, gave up her body.   The boys have to work so hard their body was exhausted as their mother’s.  The number one boy was expected to quit school and work in the cane fields to help the financial burden of the family.  This was the way of life for his great grandfather, grandfather and father also. 

10 comments:

  1. Hi Barb,

    I agree that when someone doesn't have control of their life because of their parents or whatever reason, they do start to do bazaar things to show that they have control over their own body. This could be the reason for eating disorders.etc. It's all about the control of their own body. I think it's crazy that these boys had to give up their body to work for their family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Barb,
    I agree with you as well that the importance of the body in the book is because they cant control their own life. I think that would not be the life I would want to live regardless of culture. To have to give up your dreams for another cant help but lead to some type of disorders.Thanks for the read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Barb,

    Thanks for sharing your insights! For the Oyama family, their living is based on the body's ability to work. They don't have the luxury of having someone else perform the work; the entire family must put their bodies to work in order for the family to survive. In this way, their bodies are not theirs. We see the physical toll this work takes on Mrs. Oyama, and we'll see the mental anguish both sons endure as they struggle to define themselves while also dealing with their responsibilities to the family.

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Barb,
    Once again great job on answering the question and on your writing. I think you captured the meaning of the title perfectly. I too agree that the boys didn't have any say over their bodys and that's why the book is called that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Barb,
    I agree with you, Toshio and Kiyoshi had to live for their families. Given the circumstances though, I think any young man would do whatever it would take in order for their families to survive. Still, it is sad that they had to worry about only their families situation; therefore, certainly leading them down the same paths of their parents. It's too bad it was so long before changes came in the government that helped children of poor families make something of themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Barb,
    I think that most children feel the same way about not being able to make their own decisions and having to obey their parents and behave respectfully but I don't get the connection to the body. I do understand the work and body connection and I completely agree with you there. The entire family as far back as we know has had to work extremely hard to survive and it really affects the body.
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Barb,

    Thank you for your insights into this story. I agree with your view of what the body means in this chapter. These family members really had no free will their bodies were not their own. I think that in some ways they still had control over their minds but the question is did this help them?

    BetteJo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Its kind of a running tradition in this story for the children to give up their life in order to help out their family. Kyoshi's mother said that for the first five years of her marriage they gave all of the money they made back to her parents. Then she listed off what years were spent paying back what family members.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Barb,
    I couldnt agree with you more, the importance of this book is that they dont have any control or decision making in there life, they have to obey there parents and do as they please. It sad that they cant deciede for themselves, and i can understand that they felt stuck. Great response.
    Myra A.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Barb,

    I am happy you wrote about this becasue I was not sure. You were the first person that I have read that wrote about this question. You helped me to understand it thanky you.

    ReplyDelete