Monday, November 29, 2010

All I Asking For Is My Body, Part III, Dialogue

All I Asking For Is My Body, Part III, Dialogue
WHAT IS THE MEANING OF THE TITLE?
I think the title means that Toshio and Kiyoshi felt they were not in control of their destiny.  Their bodies were to be used as their parents wished because of filial piety. Toshio felt more inner turmoil and anger than his brother, but they both struggled with family responsibility versus what they wanted for their life.
Toshio and Kiyoshi’s parents told them many times that it was their duty to work hard and pay off family debts. It was their responsibility even though it meant they were used as child labor with little pay.  The children were slaves to their families, and the plantation, which was cruel and ugly.  This was a constant weight on Toshio and Kiyoshi’s shoulders because they were not able to make decisions and do what they thought best for their mind and bodies.  They wanted to have control of their life; they wanted to be able to make decisions on how their bodies would be used. The title, “All I Asking for Is my Body” was spoke many times in the book and I felt this was used to tell us that Toshio most of all, felt suffocated  because of traditional Japanese filial piety.

6 comments:

  1. Hello Barb,
    I enjoyed reading your response, you made good points. If we look at the family, taking away the fact that the children had to work, we find years of traditions and culture. I may not agree with how they treated the boys but I can understand where their lifestyle comes from.

    BetteJO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Barb,
    I too agree with you that these children were forced into something that was not their destiny. I really felt sorry for the children on the plantation because no child should have to live their lives like that. I know that that was their culture, however, I think they needed to think of something better to repay thir debts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Barb,

    Your post has me thinking about the difference in expectation placed on Toshio's grandfather versus the expectations placed on Toshio and Mr. Oyama. In the grandfather's situation, he wasn't burdened with a large debt. In his case, to be filial, he quit school to take care of the family farm. It's the grandfather who generated the debt to be placed on his children and then grandchildren. In different circumstances, filial piety manifests itself differently. Is the grandfather taking advantage of filial piety for his own needs? In other words, is he exploiting the system?

    Thanks for these points to think about!

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Barb,

    I agree with you I too believe it had to do with control as well as independence and freedom. It's really a powerful title for a book and covers the book very well. I enjoyed reading your response, I agree with you also that they were slaves, it amazes me how their own parents would want them to work as slaves you would think that it would be the other way around, but they expected it from them. I can't imagine living like that it makes me feel really appreciative for what I have and the little things such as going to grade school. Thanks,

    Brittany

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Barb,
    It seemed that throughout the book, TOsh was more aware of what was going on because Kyio was too into the superstition his mother made him believe. Tosh try tofight his way out of it and he fought hard, even telling his own father that his grandfather was a liar and theif. I just find it sad that these kids had to go through somethings like that. Now a days we have a choice of what we want to do with our lives, unlike them they already were born to work. Great repsonse.
    Myra A.

    ReplyDelete