Monday, November 1, 2010

"This is What it Means to Say Phoenix, Arizona" Dialogue

Dialogue for “This is what it Means to Say Phoenix, Arizona” Week 12
Question B-What’s one difference between this reading and the movie version?  How does the change affect the story, change the meaning and/or alter our perspectives of the characters?
I thought a big difference between the movie and the reading was how Thomas and Victor traveled from Coeurdalene, Idaho to Phoenix, Arizona.  Their travels in the movie included hitching a ride with friends, riding the bus and finally walking into Phoenix, Arizona.  In the writing Victor and Thomas boarded a plane, and rode in a taxi to the trailer. I thought the movie version was more heartfelt, emotional and personal than the writing.
Victor did not seem as angry or upset in the reading as he did in the movie. This could just be me I am a very visual person. Watching the movie would give me better perspective and understanding of the story.  I do not remember much humor in the writing, but one incident in the movie was when Victor and Thomas hitched a ride from the girls driving backwards. I thought it was a real asset to the story in two ways.  First, it was funny and the girls showed respect for Thomas, they wanted to listen to his stories, much different than Victor.  In the reading Victor, Thomas and the gymnast all talked and laughed together on the plane ride.  I did not feel the anger or disrespect Victor had towards Thomas and others in the writing as I did in the movie.  In the movie Victor was stoic like an Indian, didn’t smile much and was mad at the world.  I thought Victor and Thomas’s journey in “This is What it Means to Say Phoenix, Arizona” was very quick and not as personal.  The writing did not give me the same closure with respect to forgiveness between Victor, Victor’s dad and Thomas as in the movie. I enjoyed the movie much better than the reading.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Barb,
    I think that changing how Thomas's parents died really affected the relationship of the boys in the storyline. The movie was definitely more powerful than the reading. I feel like there were a lot of holes in the reading and we didn't get enough of the story.
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Barb,

    As always I enjoyed your comments on the reading. I felt much the same. Without the death of Thomas's parents the story behind Arnold leaving his family was not as powerful. I agree that the story did not hold the power meaning that the film did.

    BetteJo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Barb,

    Thanks for sharing your insights and observations! It's always been curious to me that Thomas and Victor travel by airplane in the story, which eliminates the struggle and journey we witness in the film. Thomas and Victor need time to work out their issues and to discover the "truth", which would have been difficult to accomplish in a short plane ride.

    Your post has me thinking about the ways we are often more attuned to the visual. I agree that the film is much more compelling. It develops the stories and intricacies that the short story only touches on.

    What I like about this reading is the way it gives us a glimpse at how screenwriters revise stories into films.

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Barb,
    I just like you enjoyed the movie much more than the story. The story just wasn't as personable or something for me. The way it was written,it was totally different in the mood and everything. I didnt think about the mode of travel either, that really threw me as well. I just was more satisfied with the movie period.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Barb,

    I totally agree with you the movie was much better. I usally like storys better becasue they usally explain more but not in this case. I was very surprized with the plane situation. It was not the same Victor as in the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Barb,
    I also love your posts because their detailed and to the point. I too think that the movie was alot better then the story. The story honestly seemed a little boring to me. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi
    I also agree, that the movie was better than the written version of the story. I think that the way that the two traveled also made more sense. The way that you write is esay to read, and always to the point.
    Thank you
    Benjamin

    ReplyDelete