My name is Barb Hough-Sisson. I took a break from school for 35 years and started back last year. I have been the office manager in a very busy OB/GYN office for 33 years and work full-time. I can truly say I love my job. I don't have any formal schooling for my position, just experience. It has become very important to me to have a degree. I am pursuing my AA degree in business. I might be a graduate at 99 years old, but that will be okay, I accomplished it. I live in beautiful redwood country, Fortuna, up in Humboldt County.
I would like to learn better writing skills, understand what critical thinking is and able to analyze writings. I definitely like to get my work done early. I have a very busy job, lots of responsibilities and never know what might happen and need my assistance and time.
I have two boys, Jimmy-27, Brian-19 and two beautiful grandaughters, Piper- 2 1/2 and Harper-6 months. I love to spend time with my family, travel, walk, sew, cook and read.
Hi,
ReplyDeleteMy name is Benjamin, and we are in the same english class. I would like to let you know that I too am going back to school after an extended break. I am very excited about critical thinking as well.
Benjamin
Hi Barb,
ReplyDeleteWelcome to our class! I'm with you on getting things done early! I used to procrastinate, but working full-time and having children make it necessary that I get things done before little emergencies pop up.
Take care,
Lauren
Hello Barb,
ReplyDeleteMy name is Brittany I am happy that you are going back and pursuing your education, it is very beneficial in so many ways! You are right, it is NEVER too late to learn. That's amazing that your a grand parent. My mom and my mother in law love being grandma's they are obsessed with my daughter lol. I am looking forward to conversating with you in this class!
Hi Barb,
ReplyDeleteIt's great to meet you and I think it's awesome that you are going back to school. Your lucky to have a job you love, not alot of people can say that. Good luck this semester.
Hello Barb,
ReplyDeleteWell I can see you are a student that gets her work done early! Good for you, it is a great study habit after all.
What's it like living in Fortuna? I have a friend that lives there and have had friends in the past that moved from there. I really like Arcata and Trinidad. I may consider moving there some day.
Best of luck with the class!
~Diane
Hi Diane,
ReplyDeleteVery nice to meet you. Fortuna is a small town, very beautiful. A great place to raise kids. I have lived here all my life. I wish I would have lived elsewhere for a short time, but I know I would always come back to Fortuna. I do wish it was warmer. Have a great day. Barb
Hi Barb! I can see why you felt like this freewriting excercise is interesting having never done it before. It is fun I think, I also thought it was funny that you thought it was hard. I think the point is to forget about all that structure and just let go. So that's good that it was hard, because in the article that's what people were doing. They were focusing too much on if the piece of writing was done right..spelling...grammar..etc. and losing focus on what they are really doing which is simply writing. I hope it helped you, I know it helps me.
ReplyDelete