Wednesday, September 22, 2010

"Coming Home Again" Dialogue

Question C-What’s the importance of food in this essay?

This story goes much deeper than food.  It is about family coming together. Food reflects on the meaning of Chang-rae Lee’s family.  When he was young he would watch his mother cook, and fix meals for the family, one of his daily treasures.  Food brought them all together. 

Chang-rae felt obsolete when he came back from boarding school, food brought the family close again.  They would sit around the table and enjoy each other. As he was traveling home from school he could picture the arrangement of his mother’s dinner table, it was always the same. His mother would always prepare the same special meal to welcome him home. Food is a way for Chang-rae Lee’s family to share the same kind of experiences at the dinner table.  This was a way for them to be together after being away from each other. People are able to find out about each other by how they interact with food.  An example would be if a family member had something that needed to be discussed it could be brought up during the evening meal. I also believe this is a time for positive discussion not negative.   This is a time to pay attention to family sitting at the table and understand their needs.  Food is a fascinating lens into someone’s life.  Food is comforting and soothing to the soul.

After his mother became too sick, Chang-rae would cook.  He wasn’t cooking for his mother because she was eating very little, but for the family.  The point was to sit together at the table and be family.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Barbara,
    I too agree with you that food served more than a purpose of just to eat but had a purpose of family being brought together. I also believe that this was the opportunity to allow the family to discuss things that they probably wouldn't ordinarily have the chance to talk about. Thanks for the read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Barbara,

    I think every family should find some time in their day to sit down and have food with their family. I think this is a great opportunity have discussions. Thanks for you post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Barbara,
    There are all kinds of ways, to have family’s interactions with each other at dinner time. In there case, it was food that pulled the family in together. I feel your essay really did show the importance of food in “coming home again”.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi
    I like reading your comments, they are always well written. I agree, I felt that the meal was a place to be positive and a place to share. Our family also sits around the table at dinner to talk about issues as much to eat.
    Thank you
    Benjamin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello

    I enjoyed reading you summary it was well written and your points clear. I looked at why the mother regretted sending her son away to school. However, I think you are right on track about the importance of food and its meaning to this story.

    BetteJo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Barb,

    Your post has me thinking about family rituals. I agree that the reading isn't about food; food is the vehicle that allows the family to come together, and that's the importance. I think the narrator finds comfort in cooking because it was another ritual he practiced with his mother.

    Thanks for these insights.

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  7. When you mentioned how Chang-rae could envision how his mother would have the table prepared when he returned from school and how it was always the same, it made me think about how sameness is comforting. By his mother preparing the same meals for his return from school, she was not only expressing her love, but also providing comfort. It sounds as if she felt guilty for sending her child away to go to school and it was partially through food that she was able to provide that comfort he missed while away.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like how this one was a toally different connection with food than others I have read. Some make the kitchen a connection to the author getting to know his mom, while this one brings the whole family together! GReat!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with your statement, "The point was to sit together at the table and be family." That part really stuck out in my mind too. His mother really couldn't eat very much food, but it became more than just about food. It was a time for them to be a family and spend time together. Having a meal as a family becomes deeper than just eating, it's a time to come together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi,
    I loved the way you put the story together about chang-rae. Food isnt important. Having oyur family next to you is what really counts.
    Myra A

    ReplyDelete