Rules for Writers Chapter 1
The writing process consists of 5 stages. Freewriting or brainstorming, writing, revising, editing and final draft. This summary will discuss the first stage; freewriting or brainstorming, choosing the subject, taking notes and outline.
The writing process starts by understanding the assignment. What is the reason for the writing? Gather, list, group words that highlight a main subject, freewrite, or brainstorm writing ideas. Decide and look closely into your subject. Who is your audience and how long should the writing be?
Decide on a subject or thesis. The thesis or main point may change in the final writing so don’t worry too much about the wording early in the process. Draft a rough outline from notes of gathered information. A more formal outline may be better later in the process especially if the writing is about a complicated subject. Write, write, and write, revising and editing will come later.
The way that I plan to use the above information is to gather writing ideas. In the past I did not take the time to freewrite, or brainstorm writing ideas. I would pick one subject and would write, often times, with much difficulty because I did not have enough information. I did an outline for this active reading and it was very helpful. It is much easier to write with writing rules.
No comments:
Post a Comment