I have picked question D.
How is education a means to save one’s life?
Education guarantees that we are ready to face and overcome life difficulties. John Dewey said, “Education is not preparation for life; education is life itself.” Education offers us the best hope of mitigating suffering and leaving a life of indigence. Life can be gross and we can be in a daily struggle to remain unaffected in spite of life occurrences. With education we have a chance at a “normal “life. It is the most important and best tool a person can have in their lifetime.
How is Alexie attempting to save the life of the students he works with?
Alexie went through many hardships growing up, and he would like to inspire Indian kids to get an education so they might not have such a hard time. He goes into schools and teaches creative writing. Alexie was not taught creative writing skills because this was not something that Indian children needed. He feels that because he learned these skills they saved his life. He wants to see better lives for Indian children’s.
How did Alexie save his own life?
Alexie did not give into life challenges. He taught himself to read at a very young age. He read books continuously, any kind of books or reading material that he could find. He was expected to be stupid because he was an Indian boy, but he would not allow this. Alexie refused to give up and went on to accomplish his dream which was writing. This story is very inspiring to me. Don't ever give up your dreams. If someone challenges your dream, tell them to get out of the way and continue on.
Hi Barbara,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed your post. Everything that you say about education is so true. It wasnt until I came to California to play football did I realize or even care about an education. This is saving my life. Just like Alexie I was expected to be nothing and nobody just because of where I am from, however, against all odds I am living for the first time in my life. Thanks for your ideas.
Hi Barb,
ReplyDeleteI love the Dewey quote you open with! Education would undergo a massive transformation if we saw it less as preparation for life, and more as the thing itself. So much of what happens in Education is envisioned as teaching skills, etc. for the world outside, but in reality, there is no distinction, there is no school world and outside world. The issues we deal with in "the world" are present in school.
Thanks for the insight!
Lauren
Hi Barbara,
ReplyDeleteGreat post! I really liked how you said that education is the most important tool in a persons life, I think that is so true! It's too bad more people don't realize that, but I'm sure it's not their faults at all. They just never had a person like Alexie come into their schools to show them the life that they could lead, although, I think a lot of the kids' desire to learn has to do with it as well. From my experiences, it seems the people who affect your desire to learn the most are your friends and family. I think for most people, it's a must to have a supportive family and/or friends to help make it through life's many challenges. I think Alexie was blessed by the fact that he loved reading because he loved his Dad so much, who loved reading, which can only lead you down the right path. I was also very inspired by this story and am glad I read your post to give me another perspective on it! Good luck in class!
Hi Barbara,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed your post and what a great idea to start with a quote. I agree with you on how important an education is because if you don't have one then you can't go as far in life as you could with an education.
Hi Barbara...
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your summary on the reading assignment. I agree that having an education is one of the most important tools a person can obtain in their life time. I also agree that if you have a goal in life, never let anyone deter you from achieving it!!